Blogging, the good, the bad and the ugly!
You’ve probably heard the saying in marketing that “the money is in the list” (not your to-do list – that’s way too long!) – but your email list – your client list. Those people who have loved you enough, who you have provided enough value to, to give up their prized email address so they can stay in touch.
A blog is a great way to stay in touch with your list – to communicate with them on a regular basis and it’s also a great attraction strategy, to build your list, as well.
Blogging originally involved “personal web log” from which the term “blog” was born. It was more of a personal journal than a marketing tool.
But as with most internet innovations, entrepreneurs soon saw the marketing potential of having a blog and it all took off from there.
Why is blogging so popular?
- Blogs are social and allow for reader interaction and engagement. Blogs are great through social media as it gives the reader the ability to comment and have discussions with either the author or fellow readers.
- Search engines LOVE new content and as a result, blogging is a great search engine optimization (SEO) tool. Remember to turn your pings on, on your website.
- Blogging provides an easy way to keep your customers and clients up-to-date on what’s going on, provide tips and tricks and provide great FREE value. The more a customer comes to your blog, the more likely they are to consume and buy what it is you are selling.
- A blog allows you to build trust and rapport with your prospects and show your EXPERTISE in your field. Not only can you show off what you know, thereby building that expertise and credibility, but because people can post comments and interact with you, they can also get to know YOU and your company.
However, there are some downsides to blogging too.
Not the least of which is TIME. Blogging takes a lot of time. For blogs to be effective at SEO and engaging readers, they need to be updated regularly. The success from blogging comes from having people return, time and time again, to read what’s new. This means generating content at least weekly, if not more often, and that takes time.
Of course, blogging at LEAST weekly, means creating lots of content. Constantly coming up with topics and ideas to write about.
Have you ever thought about starting a blog? Ever wondered HOW TO START a blog? Check out our How to Start a Blog – 22-Point Checklist – available here.
There are many directions you can go once you have a blog up and going, but know this: you will feel overwhelmed, especially at the beginning. This is normal. When it comes to starting a blog, there is a steep learning curve, but don’t give up! Push through! Most of us have been in that very spot too.
If you already have a blog, then it’s all about promotion. If the money is in the list, then you need to be using your value-adding blog to build that list.
Don’t forget to share it on social platforms and share it more than once. If only between 2-5% of your audience are seeing your posts on social organically, then repurposing your blog at a different time, and on a different day, is almost certain to be seen by a different audience.
But don’t just post – there’s lots of ways to promote your blog on social media including:
- Clickable links in your headers and/or banners
- Pinning it to the top
- Using Facebook Live and just general video
- Using Facebook and Instagram stories
- Having clickable links in your bio
Another great place for promotion that’s always forgotten, is in your email signature. How many emails do you send out a day? Have a link (but remember to change it) to a specific blog – not just your blog page – at the bottom of your email. Now that’s gold!
Only about 1% of Internet users produce the content online – the remaining 99 percent? They just consume. By blogging, you stand out from the pack of content, show your expertise and connect with people who you might never have come across otherwise. Those relationships can prove to be invaluable to your business.
For those still aiming to start a blog, I leave you with the words of Oprah Winfrey:
‘Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire. This is your moment. Own it.’